Friday, January 27, 2012

An Idiot's mail to Shankar

To Director Shankar, with Love

Hii, You are one of my favourite directors. I always enjoyed watching your movies. I was infact mesmerized by the screenplays of your films. Hats off to you for providing such fantastic movies. But let me straight away tell you, your latest movie 'Nanban' made me disappointed!!
I didn't see any Shankar touch in the movie. It was just a replica of the great movie '3 Idiots'. Every scene was taken exactly the same way. Even every frame was the very same copy. The costumes, the extent of make up, art work everything was pretty the same. Only difference is new actors.I don't know what forced you direct a movie like that.
Let me tell you, the director Shankar was not at all necessary to make a photostat of '3 Idiots'; any average director could have done the same. I never say 'Nanban' is a bad movie. But the fact is that it is not a Shankar film.

Mea Culpa. I am culpable. I blamed myself for setting a high expectation. It was my problem.
I ran very hard from theatre to theatre and finally got the ticket from the 4rth theatre! And I was late for 10 minutes. I was sad initially for being late and thought to watch the movie once again with my friends. But when the movie progressed, I changed my mind and decided not to watch it again!

Expectaion Vs Reality
When i first heard Shankar making '3 Idiots', expectation was all time high. I was expecting something big from you.
I thought of two possible approaches.
1) taking the screenplay of '3 Idiots' for granted, making some enhancements like rewriting a few scenes including the climax in a much better way with some Shankar touch. This could guarantee the drama produced by the original would be there in the tamil version.
2) making the tamil version based on the novel 'Five point someone', the way how '3 Idiots' was born.
Sticking to the novel anyway would make things more realistic but produce less drama. Also, this may not be a failstop attempt at the box office.

Hence I thought Shankarji would make his own version by skillfully modifying some scenes including climax. But nothing happened. I would have liked 'Nanban' had I not watched '3 Idiots' before. Also I would like to say actors like Aamir Khan, Madhavan, Sharman Joshy etc really portrayed their characters very well than the counterparts in the tamil version.
I knew it was because of my expectation that made me disappointed. But I would request you to make movies with Shankar touch. Even if you remake movies, please make it double better say for example how Ghajini was made in Hindi. It was not just a remake, it showed the real culture and some master brains.
With love
An Idiot aka your Nanban






No comments: