Thursday, March 31, 2011

Bottle Gourd For You

Bottle Gourd

As the name suggests, this vegetable looks much like a green water bottle. It has a lot of health benefits. It can be used in our diet by cooking it or by making juice out of it.


 




It is available in the market.  One day I bought the vegetable from the market and brought it home for testing. Upon seeing this green colored vegetable, I was asked: "What is this and Why did you buy this? You could have bought some Bitter Gourd instead."
I took a short session in front of my mom on the benefits of Bottle Gourd, though I was aware of its uselessness :)

Some of Health benefits of Bottle Gourd
  • The cooked vegetable  has a cooling, relaxing effect on the body and acts as a diuretic.
  • Plays a vital role in treating urinary disorders and heals the burning sensation.
  • Helps to reduce weight as it is very less in calories and contains more than 95% of water.
  • Effective thirst quencher in summer days.
  • Contains minerals like sodium, calcium, phosphorous etc.
  • Good for treating diabetes, acidity, indigestion, constipation, piles etc.
How to make Bottle Gourd Juice
  • Just peel it.
  • Chop it into small pieces.
  • Juice it. Add a pinch of salt. That's it.
  • To get more taste, juice of lemon/ginger can be added.
    (Special Thanks to Baba Ramdev for making people aware of the existence of this  wonderful vegetable.)

No comments: